« ForrigeFortsæt »
IT T was my intention to have prefixed a 'Life of Wallenftein to this translation; but I found that it must either have occupied a space wholly disproportionate to the nature of the publication, or have been merely a meagre catalogue of events narrated not more fully than they already are in the Play itself. The recent translation, likewise, of Schiller's HISTORY of the THIRTY YEARS' WAR diminished the motives thereto. In the tranflation I endeavoured to render my Author literally wherever I was not prevented by abfolute differences of idiom; but I am confcious, that in two or three thort paffages I have
I have been guilty of dilating the original; and, from anxiety to give the full meaning, have weakened the force. In the metre I have availed myself of no other liberties than those which Schiller had permitted to himself, except the occafional breaking-up of the line by the substitution of a trochee for an iambic; of which liberty, fo frequent in our tragedies, I find no inftance in these dramas.
S. T. COLERIDGE.
PLAYS juft published by LONGMAN and REES.
1. SPEED THE PLOUGH, a Comedy, by T. MORTON, Efq. 2s.
2. RAMAH DROOG; or, WINE DOES WONDERS, a Comic Opera; by JAMES COBB, Efq. 2S.
3. MANAGEMENT, a Comedy, by Mr. REYNOLDS. 4. The BIRTH DAY, a Comedy; altered from KOTZEBUE by T. DIBDIN. 2S.
5. The JEW AND THE DOCTOR, a Farce; by Ditto.
6. LIE OF THE DAY, a Comedy; by Mr. O'KEEFFE, IS 7. HIGHLAND REEL, an Opera; by Ditto. 8. The FARMER, an Opera; by Ditto. 9. MODERN ANTIQUE, a Farce; by Ditto. 10. LOVE IN A CAMP; or, PATRICK IN PRUSSIA, an Opera; by Ditto. IS.
11. The POSITIVE MAN, an Opera; by Ditto. 12. The POOR SOLDIER, an Opera; by Ditto. 13. MARIAN, an Opera; by Mrs. BROOKE. IS.
Of the above Bookfellers may be had:
The VOTARY OF WEALTH, a Comedy; by Mr.
2. LAUGH WHEN YOU CAN, a Comedy; by Mr. Rey. nolds. 28.
3. The DRAMATIST, a Comedy; by Ditto.
4. NOTORIETY, a Comedy; by Ditto.
1s. 6d. Is. 6d.
5. HOW TO GROW RICH, a Comedy; by Ditto. rs. 6d. 8. The RAGE, a Comedy; by Ditto. 2S. 7. WERTER, a Tragedy, by Ditto. 8. SPECULATION, a Comedy; by Ditto.
9. WILD OATS, a Comedy; by Mr. O'KEEFFE. is. 6d. 10. The CASTLE OF ANDALUSIA, an Opera; by Ditto. Is. 6d.
11. SPRIGS OF LAUREL, an Opera; by Ditto.
12. HARTFORD BRIDGE, a Farce; by Mr. PEARCE. - IS. 13. The MIDNIGHT WANDERERS, an Opera; by Ditto,
14. NETLEY ABBEY, an Opera; by Ditto. 15. 15. ARRIVED AT PORTSMOUTH; by Ditto. 16. The MYSTERIES OF THE CASTLE; by M. P. AN
17. The IRISHMAN IN LONDON, a Farce; by Mr. M'READY. IS.
18. ZORINSKI, a Play; by Mr. MORTON.
19. The WAY TO GET MARRIED, a Comedy; by Ditto,
20. The CURE FOR THE HEART ACHE, a Comedy; by Ditto. 25.
21. SECRETS WORTH KNOWING, a Comedy; by Ditto.
22. LOCK AND KEY, a Farce; by Mr. HOARE. IS.