« ForrigeFortsæt »
Britannia needs no bulwarks, The meteor flag of England
depart Her home is on the deep.
And the star of peace return. With thunders from her native Then, then, ye ocean warriors ! oak
Our song and feast shall flow
When the storm has ceased to When the stormy winds do blow,blow,
When the fiery fight is heard no When the battle rages loud and more, long
And the storm has ceased to blow. And the stormy winds do blow.
T. CAMPBELL. 167. FOLLOW THY FAIR SUN Follow thy fair sun, unhappy | Follow those pure beams, whose shadow,
beauty burneth ! Though thou be black as night, That so have scorchèd thee ;
And she made all of light ; As thou still black must be, Yet follow thy fair sun, unhappy Till her kind beams thy black to shadow!
brightness turneth ! Follow her, whose light thy light depriveth !
Follow her, while yet her glory Though here thou livest dis- shineth ! graced,
There comes a luckless night And she in heaven is placed ; That will dim all her light ; Yet follow her whose light the And this the black unhappy shade world reviveth !
divineth. Follow still, since so thy Fates ordained !
The sun must have his shade,
Till both at once do fade ;
169. MY SWEETEST LESBIA
T. CAMPION. 170. LAURA ROSE-CHEEKED Laura, come ;
These dull notes we sing Sing thou smoothly with thy Discords need for helps to grace
Only beauty purely loving
Knows no discord,
But still moves delight, Lovely forms do flow
Like clear springs renewed by From concent divinely framèd ;
flowing, Heaven is music, and thy beauty's Ever perfect, ever in themBirth is heavenly.
171. THE MAN UPRIGHT OF LIFE
Thus, scorning all the cares that fate or fortune brings,
172. THINK'ST THOU TO SEDUCE ME THINK'ST thou to seduce me then with words that have no meaning ? Parrots so can learn to prate, our speech by pieces gleaning : Nurses teach their children so about the time of weaning. Learn to speak first, then to woo: to wooing much pertaineth : He that courts us, wanting art, soon falters when he feigneth, Looks asquint on his discourse and smiles when he complaineth. Skilful anglers hide their hooks, fit baits for every season, But with crooked pins fish’st thou, as babes do that want reason. Gudgeons only can be caught with such poor tricks of treason.
For all those rosy ornaments in thee;
Nor fair, nor sweet-unless thou pity me.
My thoughts with beauty, were it more divine ;
I'll not be wrapped up in those arms of thine :
174. TURN ALL THY THOUGHTS TO EYES TURN all thy thoughts to eyes,
Turn darkness into day,
Let age interpret youth :
True love will yet be free
In spite of jealousy.
For that will still be free
175. WERE MY HEART AS SOME MEN'S ARE WERE my heart as some men's are, thy errors would not move me; But thy faults I curious find, and speak because I love thee : Patience is a thing divine, and far, I grant, above me. Foes sometimes befriend us more, our blacker deeds objecting, Than the obsequious bosom-guest with false respect affecting : Friendship is the Glass of Truth, our hidden stains detecting. When I use of eyes enjoy, and inward light of reason, Thy observer will I be and censor, but in season : Hidden mischief to conceal in state and love is treason.
176. WHEN TO HER LUTE CORINNA SINGS WHEN to her lute Corinna sings, And as her lute doth live or die, Her voice revives the leaden Led by her passion, so must I; strings,
For when of pleasure she doth And doth in highest notes appear, sing, As any challenged echo clear : My thoughts enjoy a sudden But when she doth of mourning spring, speak,
But if she doth of sorrow speak, E’en with her sighs, the strings E’en from my heart the strings do break.
177. THE PILOT THAT WEATHERED THE STORM
The sky if no longer loud tempests deform;
No! Here 's to the Pilot that weathered the storm!
And shall not his memory to Britain be dear,
Whose example, with envy, all nations behold ;
By power uncorrupted, untainted by gold ?
While rapine and treason their standards unfurled,
And one kingdom preserved ’midst the wreck of the world.
L?! Pitt, when the course of thy greatness is o'er,
Thy talents, thy virtues, we fondly recall !
178. A POLITICAL DISPATCH
20 per cent, 20 per cent,
THE FRIEND OF HUMANITY AND THE KNIFE-GRINDER
Friend of Humanity.
So have your breeches.
Scissors to grind 0!'
Or the Attorney ?
All in a lawsuit ?
Torn in a scuffle.
Stocks for a vagrant.