« ForrigeFortsæt »
32 And the Decree of Efther confirmed thefe Matters of Purim, and it was written in the Book.
1 Abafuerus his Greatness. 3 Mordecai's Advancement.
Ver. 1 AND the King Ahafuerus laid a Tribute upon the Land, and upon the Ifles of the Sea.
2 And all the Acts of his Power, and of his Might, and the Declaration of the Greatnefs of Mordecai, whereunto the King advanced him, are they not written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Media and Perfia?
3 For Mordecai the Jew was next unto King Ahafuerus, and great among the Jews, and accepted of the Multitude of his Brethren, feeking the Wealth of his People, and fpeaking Peace to all his Seed.
RULERS and KINGS of the Hebrew Nation, from their Deliverance out of Egypt, to the Babylonish Captivity.
I. MOSES. Being taken out of the Waters by Pharaob's Daughter, is bred up in the Court, and inftructed in all the Learning of the Egyptians.
When he was forty Years old he quits Egypt, and goes into the Land of Midian, where he keeps Sheep. After forty Years God appears to him, and commands him to return to Egypt, and to demand from the King the Deliverance of the Ifraelites; which Pharaob refufing is punished with ten feveral Plagues: After many Signs and Miracles wrought by him, the Ifraelites march out of Egypt; Pharaoh and his whole Army pursuing them, are drowned in the Red Sea.
He conducts the Ifraelites forty Years in the Wilderness, who are fubfifted every Day by miraculous Bread and Water. He receives the ten Commandments in Mount Sinai, his Face is eradiated with Celestial Glory; has only a View of the promifed Land from a high Mountain, and dies 120 Years old.
II. JOSHUA is appointed to be Captain of the Lord's Hoft. He conquers all the Land of Canaan, at his Prayer the Sun ftands ftill, he dies in Peace, being 100 Years old.
After Joshua's Death, the People falling into Idolatry are firft rebuked by an Angel, and feverely punished by Invasions from feveral Nations; but from
thefe Oppreffions they are delivered by the Judges upon their Supplications to the Almighty.
III. The JUDGES appointed to be the Deliverers of the Ifraelites.
1. Othniel from the King of Mefopotomia.
2. Ebud from the Oppreffions of the King of Moab.
3. Shamgar from the Philistines.
4. Deborah and Barak from Jabin King of Canaan. 5. Gideon from Zeba and Talmunna Kings of Moab. 6. Abimelech.
8. Jair from the Philistines and Ammonites.
9. Jepthah from the Ammonites.
13. Eli. In the Time of his Priesthood and Government, the Ark is taken by the Philistines.
14. Sampfon deftroys great numbers of the Philiftines, both in his Life, and at the Time of his Death.
This Government by the Judges continued about 450 Years.
IV. The KINGS.
1. Saul. The Ifraelites that they might be like other Nations impatiently defire a King. Samuel is ordered to anoint Saul, who, difobeying the pofitive Command of God is deferted and left under the Influence of an Evil Spirit. Being vanquished in
Battle, he attempts to murder himself, and is killed by an Amalekite.
2. David is appointed to fucceed Saul. While he is keeping his Father's Sheep, he kills a Lyon and a Bear, and rescues his Lambs. Being animated with a Divine Fortitude, encounters and kills Goliah, who had ftruck a pannick Fear into all the Hebrew Army. He is often delivered from the Rage of Saul, who endeavoured to destroy him.
After Saul's Death he is proclaimed King, fubdues all the Nations from the Banks of the Euphrates to the Borders of Egypt.
His Sin in the matter of Uriah, is feverely punished by the Rebellion of Abfalom, and many Disorders in his Family; and his vain Glory in numbring the People by a great Peftilence.
Upon his folemn Repentance he is restored to the Divine Favour, compofes the facred Book of Pfalms, gives Directions for the building the Temple, for which he leaves to Solomon his Son an immense Treasure, and dies, after he had reigned 40 Years.
3. Solomon his Succeffor reigned 40 Years. Is most renowned for his Wifdom, and finishes the Building of the Temple in the 3000 Year from the Creation, reigns many Years in Peace.
But being captivated by the Love of outlandish Women, permits the Idolatry of the Gentiles to be introduc'd; for which he is punifhed by Hadad a fugitive Prince, who conquers part of his Domi
And by a Prophet is threatned with the Revolt of. the Ten Tribes.
Repenting of his Idolatry, writes the Book of Ec clefiaftes.
The Divifion of the Kingdom, by the Revolt of the Ten Tribes.
Being reproved by Hanani, for entring into an Alliance with the King of Syria, in his Rage imprisons the Prophet, for which he is afflicted with an incurable Disease, and died in the forty firft Year of his Reign.
4. Elab, his Son, 2 Years. Is murdered by Zimri an Officer in the Army, who destroys the whole Family of Baaba.
5. Zimri is befieged by Omri in Tirzab, burns the Kings Palace, and perishes in the Flames.
6. Tibni and Omri. Tibni dies, Omri reigns 12 Years, builds Samaria.
4. Jebofhaphat his Son 25 Years. Walking in the
7. Abab Son of Omri 22 Years. Builds a Tem
Ways of David, enjoys ple for Baal. The Idola