Billeder på siden

those cases, and if the forms of ear diseases which sometimes lead to inflammation of the mastoid cells, and from them to the brain or its meninges were early and judiciously treated, there would be fewer fatal cases from implication of the brain, and the valuable sense of hearing would be oftener preserved than is the case at present.

Dr. J. A. Adrian, of Logansport, Ind., being present, was called upon for an expression of his experience and observation in the treatment of the case under consideration. He asked: When there has been for a long time considerable swelling or tumefaction, redness, tenderness and pain in the mastoid region, with or without a discharge from the ear, is the surgeon justifiable in cutting down and making an opening into the mastoid cells?

Dr. Little answered in the affirmative.

Dr. Adrian said: In the course of a long experience, and somewhat extensive observation, I have been led, and especially of late years, to make a free opening. In the cases where there had been a discharge from the ear, it almost invariably ceased, after an opening into the mastoid cells; and in these cases where no discharge existed, there was no subsequent discharge. In these cases when a discharge has existed for a long time, the incision should be kept open for some time; otherwise the discharge will not be permanently controlled. I think the disease is most frequently associated with a strumous diathesis. When such is the casé, tonics and mild alteratives, and in short remedies which will elevate and sustain the vital forces, will be of much service in accomplishing a permanent


Dr. Harwood said: I have listened with much gratification to the remarks which have been made, and consider them of very much importance in connection with the subject as presented. Prof. Little's mode of operating differs considerably from my own. I see no reason, however, to take exceptions to it ; but as a matter of fancy I prefer to operate with the instrument I have devised, at the same time extending the privilege to others of selecting whatever mode of procedure or instrument that may be desirable. An ordinary carpenter's gimlet has been successfully used for this purpose. The important point to bear in mind is to operate early when necessary.



Special Meeting, held August 9, 1877.

The President, Dr. C. S. Wood, on assuming the chair, spoke briefly of the sadness of the occasion which had caused us to convene, after which Dr. Ed. C. Harwood followed with


Mr. President:

For the first time since the organization of the North-Western Medical and Surgical Society, death has invaded its ranks and plucked from among its members one who was well beloved by his fellows, and one whom his associates delighted to honor.

Wm. E. H. Post, M.D., is no more. He has passed through the portals of eternity, and is now cognizant of those realities which will be known to all at no distant day. For we too must soon close our eyes on all things here, and open them on things in the eternal state.

Dr. Post was born in the quaint and pleasant village of Quogue, Long Island, February 27, 1848. He was the second of a family of three sons. His father's name was George O. Post, and he was an old and respected resident of the above mentioned town. He was in easy circumstances, and was thus enabled to give his son, our departed friend and associate, the advantages of a private tutor in his early childhood.

In due time he was prepared for a higher course of study, removed to Williamstown, Mass., and engaged in a three years' preparation for college under the supervision of Prof. N. H. Griffin. He entered Williams College in 1866, and graduated in 1870. From letters received from his associates and teachers, we learn that young Post was studious, generous, ever ready to aid in trouble and assist in distress.

A classmate says: "Dr. Post was a school and college mate of mine, and a very dear friend. Together we prepared for college at Dr. N. H. Griffin's School-together we joined the First Congregational Church in this place (Williamstown). We

roomed together more than two years of our College Course, and were as dear to each other as are brothers. Of all the friends I have ever had, or fellows I have ever known, none were kinder, more generous and affectionate to me than Will Post.

* * * * *

"He was always to be trusted in every place, and was loved by all who knew him. He always took an active though not prominent part in Church Prayer Meetings, and I think his faith and trust in God rarely if ever wavered when the rest of us were in doubt.

"His was a life not to be filled with marked incidents, but the one thing which you always felt about him was his reliability and steadfastness."

Dr. Post was apparently always inclined to the Profession of Medicine; for this same classmate who knew him so well, and who bears such precious testimony concerning him, proceeds to say: "He was 'cut out' for a physician from the first. None knew as well as he when another was ailing, and just how much, and what to do for him."

One of the Professors of Williams College says: "W. E. H. Post, fitted for college with my father, the late Rev. N. H. Griffin. * * * * I was not in Williamstown during his school and college days, and had, therefore, only a slight acquaintance with him. I was, however, much drawn to him by his cordial, manly ways, when I did occasionally see him, and the news of his sudden death gives me much sorrow."

Thus we find him after a literary training of seven years, ready to engage in the preparation for his life work. Accordingly in the fall of 1870 he registered himself as student in the office of Prof. James R. Wood, of this city, and became a matriculant in the Bellevue Hospital Medical College soon after. He attended three courses of lectures in that institution, and received the Degree of Doctor in Medicine in the spring of 1873.

He determined to commence the practice of his profession immediately, and accordingly opened an office at No. 243 West Forty-third Street, where he remained until April, 1875, whence he removed to 233 West Fifty-first Street, the office occupied by him at the time of his death. In October, 1874, he was appointed by the Board of Health, an Assistant Sani

tary Inspector, which office he filled with credit to himself and the satisfaction of his superiors.

About this time he was attacked with malarial fever with manifestations of a typhoid character. He was confined to his house six weeks.

Upon recovering he resumed his professional duties, and continued in the full discharge of the same up to the beginning of the fatal attack of peritonitis from which he died.

He was taken sick on Thursday morning, the 19th of July, with a chill, on Friday morning, at 10 o'clock, with severe pain, and immediately sent for Dr. J. H. Ripley, who at once responded to the call, and continued to attend him in conjunction with Drs. Bliss, Bryant, Metcalf and Hawes, until death relieved him of his suffering on the evening of Monday, July 23d, at 6:50 o'clock. His funeral occurred at his late residence on the morning of Wednesday, July 25th, at 10 o'clock. The services were conducted by the Rev. George H. Houghton, and the remains conveyed the next morning to his native village, where they were quietly deposited in their last resting place amid the scenes of his early childhood, by the side of his ancestors, of which he represented the fifth generation, mourned by his relatives, former neighbors and friends.

And as the moistened earth quietly settled with hollow sound upon the casket which contained all that was mortal of our late beloved member and officer, it did not reveal a greater void, or touch a chord more tender in the hands of his more immediate friends than that which exists in our own.

We might here close our brief account of Dr. Post, were it not for an incident connected with his closing hours no less beautiful than as one more exponent of his honorable nature.

As the evening of Monday was drawing nigh, and he was surrounded by his friends and medical attendants, he asked, "What is my temperature, what is the rate of my pulse?" A direct answer was not given. He was told that they had not been taken. They would take the pulse and temperature in a little while, and then they would tell him. They then took it, and found the temperature to be 107 degrees, and the pulse 160.

"That's a bad pulse and temperature, too bad to expect to

get well with. You should have told me before." Then he desired to be stimulated, and wanted to know how long he would live. He was told that he would survive probably four or five hours. After he had somewhat revived, he requested that his affianced, who was in the house, be called, together with a clergyman, and at that solemn time, two hours before his death, while the shadows of evening and the dark night of death were gathering around, he fulfilled an honorable promise made some time previous, and Miss Mary Mylford became his wife. Alas! how soon to be widowed.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. Mr. Houghton, assisted by Dr. Post's personal friend, Rev. J. F. Stern. But while missed by many others, he will be missed also by our organization. He held two important offices in this society; namely, that of Secretary and Treasurer, to which offices he was elected March 15, 1876, the offices being made vacant by the retirement of Samuel B. Ward, M.D., to accept a Professorship in the Albany Medical College.

He was re-elected at the annual meeting in December of the same year; and althongh the duties connected with these positions were onerous, none enjoyed our scientific and social gatherings more than he; none took more pains or manifested more delight or experienced more pride in preparing for them than Dr. Post.

It has been my privilege to be present with him at the operating table, and to meet him in the pestilential chamber, and I have ever found him prompt and decisive in the discharge of every duty, intrepid in danger, and a man in every respect!

On motion of Dr. Bosworth, it was ordered


* * that

a committee be appointed to draft suitable resolutions to the memory and worth of Dr. Post.

The Committee on Obituary reported the following, which was approved:

Whereas, Recognizing the will of a Divine Providence in the decease of our late associate and Secretary-Treasurer, Dr. Wм. E. H. POST, and desiring to record our appreciation of his worth while among us, and our bereavement at his death, peculiarly sad and sudden; be it

« ForrigeFortsæt »