« ForrigeFortsæt »
FIRST PART OF WALLE
IN FIVE ACTS,
TRANSLATED FROM THE GERMAN OF
S. T. COLERIDGE.
PRINTED FOR T. N. LONGMAN AND O. RERS, PATERNOSTIR ROW.
It was my intention to have prefixed a 'Life of Wallenstein to this translation; but I found that it must either have occupied a space wholly disproportionate to the nature of the publication, or have been merely a meagre catalogue of events narrated not more fully than they already are in the Play itself. The recent translation, likewise, of Schiller's History of the Thirty Years' War diminished the motives thereto. In the translation I endeavoured to render my Author literally wherever I was not prevented by absolute differences of idiom; but I am conscious, that in two or three ihort passages a 3 I have I have been guilty os dilating the original; and, from anxiety to give the full meaning, Lave weakened the force. In the metre I have availed myself. of no other liberties than those which Schiller had permitted to .himself, except the occasional breaking-up of the line by the substitution of a trochee for an iambic; of which liberty, so frequent in our tragedies, I find no instance in these dramaj.
PLAYS just publijbedby Longman and Rllt.
x. SPEED THE PLOUGH, a Comedy, by T. Morton, Esq. as.
RAMAH DROOG; or, WINE DOES WONDERS, a
3. MANAGEMENT, a Comedy, by Mr. Reynolds. 2s.
4. The BIRTH D AY, ft Cwiedy; altered from Kotzebue
by T. Dibdin. 2S.
5. The JEW AND THE DOCTOR, a Farce; by Ditto
6. LIE OF THE DAY, a Comedy; by Mr. O'keeffe. Is.
7. HIGHLAND REEL, an Opera: by Ditto. is.
8. The FARMER, an Opera; by Ditto. is. >
9. MODERN ANTIQUE, a Farce; by Ditto. is.
Jo. LOVE IN A CAMP; or, PATRICK IN PRUSSIA, an
Opera; by Ditto. is. 11. The POSITIVE MAN, an Opera; by Ditto. is. 1*, The POOR SOLDIER, ah Optra; by Ditto. is. 13. MARIAN, an Opera; by Mrs. Brooke. is.
Os the above Booksellers may be had: r. The VOTARY OF WEALTH, a Comedy; by Mr.
3. LAUGH WHEN YOU CAN, a Comedy; by Mr. Rey. nolds. 2s.
3. The DRAMATIST, a Comedy; by Ditto. is. 6d.
4. NOTORIETY, a Comedy; by Ditto. is. 6d.
5. HOW TO GROW RICH, a Comedy; by Ditto. is. 6d.
6. The RAGE, a Comedy; by Ditto. 2s.
7. WERTER, aTragedy; by Ditto. is. 6d.
8. SPECULATION, a Comedy; by Ditto. 2s.
9. WILD OATS, aComedv; by Mr. O'KtEFFE. is. 64.
10. The CASTLE OF ANDALUSIA, an Opera; by Ditto.
11. SPRIGS OF LAUREL, an Opera: by Ditto. is.
12. HARTFORD BRIDGE, a Farce; by Mr. Pearce. rt.
13. The MIDNIGHT WANDERERS, an Opera; by Ditto,
14. NETLEY ABBEY, an Opera; by Ditto. is.
15. ARRIVED AT PORTSMOUTH; by Ditto. i«.
16. The MYSTERIES OF THE CASTLE; by M. P. An
17. The IRISHMAN IN LONDON, a Farce; by Mr.
M'ready. Is. I». ZORINSKI, a Play; by Mr. Morton. as.
19. TheWAYTOGET MARRIED, a Comedy; by Ditto.
20. The CURE FOR THE HEART ACHE, a C»medy; by
xi. SECRETS WORTH KNOWING, a Comedy; by Ditto. as.
*2. LOCK AND KEY, a Farce; by Mr. Hoare. Is.