« ForrigeFortsæt »
of literary tradition a large number of passages from modern poetry covering a wide range have been inserted in the notes. These passages are either direct imitations of Virgil or they deal with ideas suggested by his works. A fuller explanation of Virgil's metrical form and more detailed directions for reading have also been added.
J. B. GREENOUGH,
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS.
Ann. Inst.-Annali (Bolletino) dell' Insti-
tuto di Corrispondenza Archeologica.
klassischen Altertums. Munich.
Commission Impériale Archéologique.
De Clarac. – Musée de Sculpture.
G. & K.- Das Leben der Griechen und
Gior. Sca.- Giornale dei Scavi a Pom-
ologie, und Kunst, herausgegeben von
A. Hirt. Berlin, 1805.
H. Roux Ainé. Paris, 1840.
Fr. A. von Lützow.
Micali. Monumenti per servire alla
Gallerie. Berlin, 1848.
C. O. Müller. Göttingen, 1832.
Kunst (revised by Wieseler).
Overbeck. Griechische Kunst-Mytholo-
gie, von J. Overbeck. Leipzig, 1873-78.
R.R. - Raoul Rochette, Monumenti in-
Sante Bartoli. Rome, 1727.
Death of Icarus. Wall painting at Pompeii. Baum. . Frontispiece.
Ideal portrait of Virgil. Vatican MS.
The Parcæ with Minerva. Relief. Müller-Wieseler.
Neptune in his car, with sea-horses. Gem. Hirt.
Hunting Scenes. Wall paintings. Zahn.
Temple of Augustus (Maison Carrée) at Nismes. Photograph. 14
Flying Mercury. Vase painting. Nicolini.
Warrior with two spears. Vase painting. Compt. Rend.
Diana hunting. Relief. Mus. Chiar.
Building of Carthage. Vatican Fragments.
Amazons defeated by Theseus. Ancient sarcophagus. Photograph. 22
Fortune seated on a throne (solium). Bronze from Pompeii. Pre-
Reception of Ilioneus by Dido. Vatican Fragments.
Bride with Veil. Wall painting. Monumenti dell'Istituto.
Lady with diadem (corona). Statue. Compt. Rend.
Dido and Æneas at the feast. Vatican MS.
Trojan horse drawn within the walls. - Women supplicating Pallas.
- Priam seated. — Cassandra raving on the walls. H. & P.
Sacrifice of Iphigenia. Relief. R. R.
Theft of the Palladium. Wall painting. Monumenti dell'Istituto. 41
Laocoon. Vatican Museum. Photograph.
Cassandra. Vase painting. . R. R.
Murder of Priam. Vase painting. Müller-Wieseler.
The fiery omen. Vatican Fragments.
Flight of Æneas. Gem. Mus. Flor. .
Part of the Tabula Iliaca, carved (or cast in gypsum) with illustra-
tions of the Sack of Troy as told by Stesichorus. Jahn, Bilder-
Æneas's vision of the Penates. Vatican Fragments.
Apollo Musagetes. Statue. Museo Pio-Clementino.
Sacrifice. Relief on the altar of Mercury at Pompeii. Photograph. 69
Harpies. Ancient mausoleum. Monumenti dell'Istituto.
Offerings to the dead. Vase painting. Mus. Borb.
Veiled Roman sacrificing. Statue. Photograph.
Chain-mail (lorica). Fragment found in a tomb. Compt. Rend. 83
Temple at Agrigentum. Photograph.
Polyphemus. Wall painting in Pompeii. Nuovi Scavi.
View of the coast of Sicily. Rocks of the Cyclops. Photograph. 90
View of Trapani (Drepanum). Photograph.
Dido sacrificing. Vatican Fragments.
Youth with chlamys. Statuette. Müller-Wieseler.
Roman marriage. Pronuba uniting the pair. Ancient sarcophagus. .99
Mercury Psychopompus (with caduceus, etc.), presenting shades to
Pluto and Proserpina. Wall painting from tomb. Sepolcri.
Præneste drawing the oracular sors. Gior. Sca. .
sacred bush. H. & P.
tomb. Sepolcri. . :
of the shades. Vatican Fragments.
Sepolcri. . .
Augustus with the civic crown. Ancient bust. Photograph.
Marcus Aurelius receiving submission. From photograph of the
Triumphal chariot. From photograph of the walls of the Capitol
Pompey. Ancient statue. Visconti.
IN THE NOTES.
3. Minerva hurling thunderbolt. Coin.
4. Ruins of theatre at Aspendos.
5. Jupiter looking down on the world. Wall painting. , H. & P.
6. Youth reading a scroll. Wall painting
7. Man clothed in skin of wild beast. Relief.
10. Genii making garlands. Wall painting.
11. Ransom of Hector's body. Relief.
13. Plan of Temple of Venus at Pompeii. Overbeck's Ruins at Pompeii.
14. Vaulted chamber in baths at Pompeii. Overbeck's Pompeii.
15. Celestial Venus. Wall painting.
16. Female apparel. Wall painting.
18. Crater wreathed (?). Relief.
21. Woman decorating a Hermes with a fillet. Relief.
22. Palazzo Vecchio at Florence.
23. Hinged door and lintel. Found at Pompeii. Overbeck's Ruins.
24. Plan of the house of Pansa at Pompeii. .
27. Pallas. Ancient MS. of Homer.
29. Cybele journeying to Rome. Relief.
30. Curetes, Cybele, Jupiter, and goat. Relief.
31. Ulysses and the sirens. Gem. .