Billeder på siden

Research to arrears of pay, which was submitted with the Board's letter under date the 24th December last, reporting their proceedings when finally closed for the information and orders of Government.

The crew of the Research are to be paid up and discharged, and the Marine Board will report to Government their sentiments as to the best mode of disposing of that vessel.

May 10th.-Having engaged a passage on board the Mary Ann, Captain O'Brien, I this morning got the relics packed up and shipped off on board that vessel in large chests, with a part of my baggage. The preceding day I received from Government the letter inserted be. low, approving of my intention to proceed to Europe, from which place I had been absent about two and twenty years.

To Captain P. Dillon. Sir:- The Governor-General in Council entirely approves your intention of proceeding to England in the Mary Anne, which is on the point of sailing, but he cannot authorize any disbursement on the public account in order to provide you a passage.

The articles brought by you in the Research you will immediately get packed and shipped on board the Mary Anne, under the direction of the Marine Board. They will be consigned to the India-House, where, should you proceed in the vessel, you will be pleased to present yourself upon your arrival. You will receive from me a letter addressed to Mr. Dart, the secretary, through whom you will learn the determination of the Court of Directors as to the disposal of the articles.

It is the intention of the Governor-General in Council to recommend that you shall be permitted to convey to France such of the articles as it may be deemed expedient to send

thither, for notification, by reference to the naval registers of the equipment of the Count de la Pérouse, and to the other sources of information which must be forthcoming in that country. Council Chamber, I am, &c. 8th May 1828. (Signed) H. T. PRINSEP,

Secretary to Government.



15th.-I embarked on board a small steamvessel named the Fire-fly, in the evening, and next morning M. Chaigneau and some other passengers joined us. At eight o'clock we steered down the river for the Mary Anne, and joined her off Fulta.

20th.--At 8 o'clock this evening being quite clear of all the dangers that environ the entrances to the river Hooghly, our pilot made a signal to one of the pilot brigs, which immediately sent a boat to take him out of the Mary Anne.

Ships proceeding from Bengal for Europe during the south-west monsoon generally beat to windward along the coast of Orissa, Golconda, and Coromandel, until they reach the fifteenth or sixteenth degree of north latitude; they then stand across the Bay of Bengal to the southeastward with the wind at south-west, until they cross the line, where it is expected they will meet the south-east trade, with which they proceed to the W.S.W., and pass at no great distance from the south part of Madagascar. They generally sight the African coast near to Point Nothall, and proceed round the Cape of Good

[ocr errors][ocr errors]

Hope to St. Helena, where they obtain fresh supplies of water, wood, poultry, &c., and after a few days' stay at this island proceed for Europe. This route is invariably adhered to by all commanders during the south-west monsoon in the Bay of Bengal, and is attended with great difficulty, such as ships getting dismasted, springing of leaks, being obliged to return with their cargoes damaged, and the hulls of the ships so much injured as to be condemned by the under. writers as unfit for further service; and they are in general six weeks getting to the line. This route ought therefore no longer to be adopted. The course which I have on two occasions pursued, first in A.D. 1819 on board the ship St. Michael, was as follows. I left the Bengal pilot on the 8th of July, touched at Prince of Wales's Island and Atcheen, and from Atcheen roads I was ten days to the line. On this voyage I remained at Penang five weeks, and arrived at Van Diemen's Land five days before the ship Bombay, which vessel left the Bengal pilot the same hour and day with myself, and was at sea all the time. On the 18th of July 1822 I left the Bengal pilot in command of the Brig Calder, bound to Van Diemen's Land. In fourteen days afterwards I sighted the islands and coast of Atcheen, where I stood off and on all night, and anchored in the roads next day. On this voyage I was nine days from Atcheen to the line, making

the total number of days at sea from the pilot to the line twenty-three: whereas, if I had taken the usual route, by the western side of the Bay of Bengal, I should have been at least six weeks. I besides avoided the risk of being dismasted, or having my sails and rigging torn to pieces by continual beating to windward, in a tempestuous sea.

With the wind at west or south-west on leaving the pilot in May, June, July, and up to the 15th of August (from which points it is sure to blow in these months), I would recommend the commanders of all ships bound round the Cape of Good Hope, or to Van Diemen's Land or South America, to make a fair wind of it by standing on the starboard tack until they sight the Cocus or Preperous Islands, from which they will generally fetch the islands of Atcheen without making a tack. Then let them work close round the islands, not standing off from them more than four or five leagues to the westward at night, and into soundings in the day There is a current setting to the southward along the coast which will enable a ship to get to the southward of the head from forty to sixty miles, where the course of the south-west monsoon is impeded by the high land, and becomes what is termed by the natives the little or north-west monsoon, with which they navigate their prows to the southward, and out to the islands that front the coast.

« ForrigeFortsæt »