Billeder på siden

died soon after he left college.--MS. Letters of Hon. J. P. Buckingham, and David Porter, D.D.

WILLIAM F. ROWLAND, A. M., son of Rev. David S. Rowland, was born at Plainfield, Connecticut. He was ordained at Exeter, NewHampshire, as the successor of Rev. Isąao Mansfield, 2 June, 1790, and was dismissed 5 December, 1828, but still resides at Exetor. He preached the Election Sermon in 1796, and again in 1809, both of which were published by authority of the Legislature,

NAHUM SARGENT, A. M., brother of Rev. Samuel Sargent, who graduated in 1783, was ordained in Reading, Vermont, 23 November, 1787. While on a visit to his friends in Chelsea, Massachusetts, he was disposed to have the small pox by inoculation, of which he died, 7 October, 1792.--Thompson, Gazetteer of Vermont, 226.

David SEARL, A. B., a native of Southampton, Massachusetts, and appears to be living from the triennial catalogue published in 1831,

JOHN WILDER, A. M., son of Major Wilder of Lancaster, Massachusetts, was ordained in 1790, at Attleborough, Massachusetts, as the successor of Rev. Habijah Weld, from which place he was dismissed several years since.

Gilbert TENNET WILLIAMS, A. B., son of Rev. Simon Williams, was born at Fogg's Manor, New Jersey, (J. Coffin,) and was ordained over the church in Linebrook, Ipswich, Massachusetts, in 1789, was dismissed in 1813, and installed over the second church in Newbury, 1 June 1814, and died 24 September, 1824, aged about 60. I am informed by a member of this class, that every graduate was a professor of religion at the time of leaving college.

[To be fyntinued.)

[ocr errors]

Memoir of the Hon. ABEL PARKER, late of

Jaffrey, in New Hampshire.-By JACOB B.

ABEL PARKER, late of Jaffrey, was a descendant of Abraham Parker, who, prior to the year 16-44, emigrated from England to America, and settled at Woburn, in Massachusetts. After the grant and incorporation of Chelmsford 1653, Abraham removed to that place, where he died 12 August, 1685, leaving several children, of whom Moses, a native of that town, was father of Aaron Parker, who was grandfather of the subject of this memoir. He was the son of Samuel and Mary Parker, and was born at Westford, Massachusetts, on the 25th March, 1753, where he continued to reside until about fourteen years of age, when he removed with his father to Pepperell.

About this time, the ball of the revolution had been put in motion. A spirit of resistance, heartfelt and unconquerable, was at work throughout the colonies. The young men, too, bore their full share in hastening on the preparations for freedom, and absolute independence of the British Crown. Young Parker was active and useful among his comrades. Whenever, amidst the cirele of his acquaintances, the conversation turned upon the all-engrossing topic, his feelings were warm and his language animated in the patriot

In December, 1774, he joined a company of minute men, commanded by Capt. John Nutting, in the regiment of Col. Prescott, as a private soldier.

On the 19th April, 1775, the alarm was given, that the British troops were marching into the country; and Nutting's company collected as fast as possible to oppose them. Parker was at work with his team about a mile from home, when


he received the news. He immediately left his work, ran his oxen home, seized his gun

and equipments, and joined his company with all possible despatch; but so great was the celerity with which they assembled and marched, that he did not overtake the main body of his company until just after they had passed Groton ;-and although the company arrived that day at West Cambridge, the retreat of the British had been so rapid, that they did not come up with them.

On reaching that post, Parker enlisted, to serve in the same company, until the January following, and was stationed at Cambridge until the evening before the battle of Bunker Hill, when a detachment was ordered to take possession of that place. In this detachment he was not originally included, but so desirous was he of participating in the most active service, that he offered to a comrade who was included in the detachment, his ration of spirit for leave to take his place, and an exchange was thereupon negotiated, so that he went on as one of the detachment. He was posted during the night, with the principal part of his company, and some few other men, on guard in the town of Charlestown, while the main body proceeded to Breed's Hill, and commenced the erection of the fort.

Not far from sunrise on the following morning, alarm guns were fired from a British vessel lying in the river, and soon after the company in Charlestown joined those on the hill, and commenced throwing up the breastwork which was connected with the fort. Very soon after they began to construct this work, the cannon shot from Copp's Hill and the British vessels, were, to use his own language, “poured in upon them in great profusion. They however continued their labors under this heavy fire, until it was thought the work

would answer the purpose for which it was designed.

He was there stationed, when the attack commenced with small arms, and continued “loading and firing as fast as he could," at each assault, until a party of the British having flanked the breastwork, he received a wound from a musket ball, which entered his leg a short distance below the knee, passed between the boness and lodged in the calf of the leg, from which it was afterwards cut out. Neither of the bones were broken, though one or both were injured, and the ball in passing between them had been flattened' to nearly half its original diameter. At this time he had got to his last bullet, and in attempting to load once more, it stuck fast in the barrel of his gun about half way down, the piece having become foal from repeated firing. He then retired into the fort, and the breastwork was soon after cleared of its troops by the fire of the flanking party.

He remained in the fort until the order to retreat was given by Col. Prescott, as the British entered the work. While on the retreat and within a few rods of the fort, a party of the British who had just reached the angle of the fort nearest them, fired a volley which was very destructive. A man fell on each side of him, and a bullet passed through the sleeve of his shirt, but he escaped further injury. His wound had so far disabled him that he could only “hobble along” with the help of his gun, and being unable to keep up with the main body of those who were retreating, he diverged to the left, and passed upon the southwesterly side of Bunker-Hill near the top, while the firing was still continued in the vicinity of the rail fence. He crossed the neck while the fire of the enemy was enfilading it, and having become unable to proceed without assistance, a fellow-soldier, but an entire stranger, came to

his support, and his thirst becoming intolerable, procured water for him almost at the risk of his life. Further assistance soon became necessary, which was afforded by another, also a stranger; and supported by both, he reached the line of sentinels. The guard at first refused to let either of his assistants pass; but upon representations that he was utterly unable to proceed without help, they consented that one should continue with him. After proceeding a short distance on the road to Cambridge, he came to a chaise in which were one or two wounded men, and seating himself on one of the shafts, was carried to Cambridge, while the soldier who had so well and faithfully assisted him thus far, returned. In after life, whenever Mr. P. related the incidents of this period of his youth, he spoke with warm feelings of gratitude of the strangers who thus aided him, regretting his inability ever to learn who they were. He was absent from camp, on account of his wounds, about two months, after which he returned, and remained until the expiration of the term for which he had enlisted.

In July, 1776, he engaged as a sergeant in the company of Capt. Job Shattuck, attached to the regiment commanded by Col. Read of Littleton, to serve at Ticonderoga, until the first of December following, and during that period formed one of a party which volunteered to storm a British fort at Putnam's point; but on their arrival about daybreak they found the enemy had the day before abandoned that post, and returned to Crown Point, which they left while the party were at Putnam's point, and proceeded to Canada.

At the termination of this term of service, he returned home, and for something more than a year followed the more quiet occupation of a farmer. During this period, he formed a matrimonial connection with Miss Edith Jewett, daughter of Jed

« ForrigeFortsæt »