« ForrigeFortsæt »
1. Instituted that future schirms in the Papacy night be prevented by her intercession. _ Confirmed by the council of Basil 1441.~
2. h.D. 852.
3. A. d. 278. _ Reverenced as was the Pagan Lucina. – 4. In the 1! Book of K. Edw: an Epistle & Gospel & collect wee apponited for this day : but upon farther enquing to Consideration were omitted afterwards. –
5. Those commonly known by Papists as the feart of 5. "Peter in the fatters." Called Lammas - day some pretend in allusion wour Lord's comen and to him " feed my Cambs - Somers more rationally, that it is is derived from "loaf - mas :" it having been the custom of the Saxons on on that day to offer a loaf of new wheat, as the first fruits of their harvest. _
6. Uncertain why so called formerly dedicated to Apra a courtegan of frete, and martyr.
7. Deacon to Pope Sixtes, 259._ Suffered under Valerian. 8. Died, 430.
1. appointed in remembrance of the recovery by the Emperor Heracling, 615, of a large portion of the true cross from Chosroes King of Persia: who haviny plundered Jerusalem had taken it away & made a mockery of it. w the 2. Suffered under Valerian, 258. But, according Roman Breviay another Cyprian is here to be comme: : morated who with one Justina, a young lady, was pied Ideath h.8.272. – He was once a sorcerer
3. Died, 422.
4. Sionysius the Arcopasite, cometed byth Paul, Acts. 17 The French claim him as haviz preached the Gospel to them first. _
5. Hourished 1040.- Called Confessor it is supposed from_ raving, for settly what was then called Rome - Sest: afterwards better known as Peter- pence.
6. Said Whave been a shoemaker.
1. Bishop of Yours, 400.
2. Successor of Martin at Yours. A curious story is tota of his being accused as the father of a child ter this very decuses on a child thr
3. He ordered the body of Rosamund to be dug up at Godstow and buried again, the public churchyard - died A. D. 1200. – 4. Suffered at alexandria 305. _ by means of a stuck with spikes, rolled over her body. –
5. Instituted by Anselm, on an occasion of the excape of a fleet of thin won 1st prom a violent store. _ The people, by a decree if the councel of Oxford 1222 were left to "celebrate in or not. _ It had however long before given rise to warm disputes about the immaculate conception : first started by? Peter Lombard 1160. 6. From the use of an anthem in the Latin service, be: : quing with there words, and appointed to be seng from this day, (in honour of It Advent) until Imas Eve. – 7. Pope 314. – Said whave been the author of numerous rites, asylums, unctions, Palls, Mitres &c._