« ForrigeFortsæt »
had been changed from the 7th to the 1.6 day) the Church thought fit to indulge the Judaizin etiary so far, as observe the Saturd as a day of festival devotion; but the West held it a fast, steeft
2. There was no reason that the Gentile Actions should keep the I wish festivals, in wh they were not concerned, & who were in me: shadow. :mny of things wh were only y what was to come: revertheless very early, itions appointed festivals in remembran mercies conferred upon the whole world. _ And native as well as God has taught us that the celebration of solemn pes: : tivals is a part of the public Exercise of religio. Within 500 years after it we find the greater festivals dis: : impuished by the same names as we now call them . _ Saints - days were instituted in different churches blomme : : surrate their Martyrs & Confessors : and were called their Birth-days. – This was a custome as ancient as the times of Guating and Poly carp.
When our Church reformed her liting the number of comme: : morations of saints was to "great, that many were omitted and a dayappointed for them all, viz: All-Saints day. But this also had been pequently done by other particular Churches for the same reason : neither is the number avoid being "very great, as such Church had some favourite saint. The festivals retained in our Church are now dueys of Obligation :::: Wattend divine service & take rest from labour : _ Acero to the Statute of Edw : repeated by liz : & renewed by James, there days were considered as of equal dignity with the Sunday, [:s: a necessary labour was permitted & sujoined on all: but it w. appear from later acts that the Sunday. now to be kept with greater uversuce, and is not only a Ecclesiastical buta civil festival.
3. A particular day was retained for Se Süphen as having been the first Martyr.
were not in:
4. As bring the first who suffered on our Lord's account. 3. Until the last review this & de Barnabas' day. : cluded: snobably because the first always, and the other often, fell in term-tome; diving the only certain great festivals whe "to kept (when the proses were sitting), as ordained by the Con: : vocation in 1536: among who the feasts of the Apostles, !: 2: the twelve, were to be kefit._ But now these days are of squal obligation with the rest, by the Act of Uniformity.
2. Probably Apocryphal lessons were appointed for then days, because the Romanists had exalted the brigin Mother above the son of
Probably upon similar principles their lessons were chosen upon Saints' days.
5. That Actions
acknowledge the benefit they derive
from the ministry of angels.
* As a general rule, where Itolydays clash, such as a & another, the lesser must always give way to the greater. :::: a sunday to a particular holiday Exists, as when the Amunciation happens in Passim-week, or to Andrews Advent sunday happen together, reference to be made to the ordinary "tappease all diversit. " Perhaps where an apocryphal chapter is appointed for the Saints day, a conorical one may be read instead, wh it, wit seem is countenanced by the practice of the Church on Sundays. 1. There are no proper depons for this day altho' in other respects it has a special service.