« ForrigeFortsæt »
Lesson 183.–Wednesday Morning. Work these Sums.
* (1) 3,456 + 78 + 396 + 6 + 82,742 + 373 + 6,409 + 90. * (2). Seventy thousand minus seventy-seven.
(3) 65,824 = 7; and by 64 (long division or factors).
(4) How many more legs have 5 horses and 12 dogs than 10 hens and 20 ducks?
(5) Write out the Pence Table from 80 to 112 pence. Write each word twice and Learn. An-swer.
An-chor. An-cient. Au-tumn. Lesson 184.-Thursday Morning. Grammar. Write.
EXERCISE.--Pick out the NOUNS, VERBS, and PRONOUNS from the piece of Dictation.
* DICTATION.-LEARN TO SPELL ALL THE WORDS.-You all know that the earth on which we live is round, like an or-ange, so that, if a ship starts from one place, and goes on sail-ing in a straight line, she will, at the end of her voy-age, find her-self back at ex-act-ly the same place again. Now a voy-age is a very plea-sant thing as long as the wea-ther is fine and the wind is fair : but when a storm arises it is some-times very dan-ger-ous. Lesson 185.—Friday Morning. Work these Sums.
* (1) If I give 184 shillings each to thirty-nine poor men and forty poor women, how many shillings shall I want ?
(2) Find the ninth part of seventeen thousand and fifty. (3) 87,652 ; 6; and by 66 (long division or factors). (4) How many shillings and pence are there in 85d., 111d., 33d., 57d., 97d., and 21d. ? Write each word twice and Learn. Gla-zi-er. Bor-ough. Bruis-ing. Bo-som.
Nei-ther en-joyed15 the play. 10 mother sheep, a sheep with her young lambs. Parrior, soldier. 12edged away, moved slowly away. 13dumb, the sheep was dumb. itin earnest, not playing. 15 enjoyed, liked.
LESSON 186—(continued). Or Write and Learn (Difficult words). grum-ble. neigh-bour. leath-er.
con-trive. grum-bling. ser-vice.
fore-tell. hap-pen. ad-dress.
ex-er-cise. a-larm-ed. Lesson 187.-Tuesday Morn. Write and Learn. Geography.
The top part of a map is the North.
the Eastern Hemisphere. The other is called the Western Hemisphere. Or write 40 spellings out of any book, each word, having seven or
more letters in it, and learn the first 15. Lesson 188.-Wednesday Morning. Work these Sums.
(1) 842+365 +6,796 +97 +6+4,158. (2) 400,004.- 50,105. (3) 12,805 x 347. * (4) 698,936 • 9. (5) Write out the Pence Table from 12 to 36 pence. Write each word twice and Learn.
Car-riage. Chem-ist. Chief-tain. Ceil-ing. Lesson 189.–Thursday Morning. Grammar. Write.
EXERCISE.—Pick out the NOUNS, VERBS, and PRONOUNS from the piece of Dictation.
* DICTATION.-LEARN TO SPELL ALL THE WORDS.-Tom said no-thing, but when his mother kiss-ed him, and the tears came into her eyes with the joy she felt, I am quite sure he was more hap-py than twen-ty apples could have made him. He promis-ed never again to tell a lie, or to steal, and I real-ly be-lieve he meant to keep his word, at any rate he tried hard. Lesson 190.-Friday Morning. Work these Sums.
(1) Take forty thousand five hundred and ninety-four from fifty-four thousand and eighty-two.
(2) In forty-three boxes there are one thousand one hundred oranges, how many are there in each box ?
(3) 628,415 : 9 and by 32 (long division or factors).
(4) Reduce to pence 715, 8/11, 4/3, 5/9, 2/8, 1/4. Write each word twice and Learn.
Cush-ion. Daz-zle. Daugh-ter. Dou-ble.
Wil-lie grew white with fright.18 16 giant, who lived in the castle. 17valiant knight, brave soldier. 18he, the giant, that is the sheep. 18 fright, fear. Or Write and Learn (Difficult words). gree-dy. fort-ress.
en-trance. prim-rose. gree-di-ness. dist-ance.
rude-ly. cu-ri-ous. ap-proach. need-ful.
cas-tle. Lesson 192.-Tuesday Morning. Geography. Answer
these Questions. (1) What is the Source and what is the Mouth of a River?
(2) How many Continents are there? Give their names. Which is the largest one? (3) What is a Bay? (4) What is a Lake ? Or write 40 spellings out of any book, each word having seven or more
letters in it, and learn the first 15. Lesson 193.-Wednesday Morning. Work these Sums.
(1) 8+76 +929 +213 +8,467 +26,838. * (2) Take one thousand one hundred and one from ten thousand. * (3) 10,192 x 642. (4) 59,592 = 7.
(5) If I give away 150 apples equally to four boys and six girls, how many will each one get ?
(6) Write out the Pence Table from 31 to 60 pence.
EXERCISE. —Pick out the NOUNS and VERBS from the Dictation.
DICTATION.-LEARN TO SPELL ALL THE WORDS.-Jack had not long in which to do his work, and he was slow with his learn-ing at the best of times. How he wish-ed he had never seen the black-bird Ay-ing to its nest, nor gone near the wood. He felt his teacher's re-buke very much, but he knew he de-serv-ed to lose his place on ac-count of his bad con-duct.
* Let each question be written out neatly, and the answer under it, with a margin at the left-hand side. Before these lessons are done at home the children must have a recapitulatory lesson on the matter of them, to refresh their memory, and to show how they should be done.
Lesson 195.-Friday Morning. Work these Sums.
(1) From twenty thousand and eighty-one take four thousand, one hundred and five.
(2) 68,273 = 9. (3) 90,086 - 99 (long division or factors).
(4) My book has 45 lines in a page, and 11 words in a line, how many words are there in a whole page ?
(5) Write out the Pence Table from 89 to 112 pence. Write each word twice and Learn. Is-sue.
Jeal-ous. Lei-sure. Jour-ney.
And I am the slain,"25 said he. 20ditch, the channel for water at the bottom of the hedge. 21scarred, bruised, hurt, the skin scrubbed off. 22save, only. 23 dimpled, little and fat. 24 mortal combat, battle in which some one is killed. 25slain, killed. Or Write and Learn (Difficult words). sav-age. reign. pris-on.
con-struct. sav-a-ges. care-less-ly. se-lect
hear-ti-ly. po-lice. hatch-ets. se-lec-tion.
mon-ey: Lesson 197.–Tuesday Morning: Geography. Answer
these Questions. (1) What is a Cape ? (2) What is the Equator ? (3) In which Hemisphere is the Old World, and in which is the New World ?
(4) If the top of a map is North, where will the South, East, and West be? Or write 40 spellings out of any book, each word having seven or
more letters in it, and learn the first 15. Lesson 198.-Wednesday Morning. Work these Sums.
(1) Sixty-three thousand, seven hundred and twenty-six x seven hundred.
(2) 82,643 x 807. (3) 90,675 • 7. * (4) Tom is 9 years old, and his father is 36 years older : how old is his father ? (5) Reduce to shillings 83, 15, 71, 35, 18, and 12 pence. Write each word twice and Learn. Mus-cle.
Os-trich. Neigh-bour. Peo-ple.
Lesson 199.-Thursday Morn. Write and Learn. Grammar.
EXERCISE.—Pick out the NOUNS and VERBS from the Dictation.
* DICTATION.-LEARN TO SPELL ALL THE WORDS.—I was such a tiny kit-ten that the girl gave me at once to my mother, who was glad to get back one of her little ones. But for fear of another mis-chance she took me in her mouth to a dark hole, where she kept me till I could see plain-ly, and was able to run by her side, and to keep out of the way of all harm. Lesson,200.-Friday Morning. Work these Sums. * (1) 91,875 x 698. * (2) 912,807 = 8
(3) 84,265 = 96 (long division or factors).
(4) In the page of a book there are 36 lines, and 5,372 letters; how many letters are there in each line? (5) Write out the Pence Table from 75 to 99 pence. Write each word twice and Learn. Sol-dier. Sol-emn. Fa-tigue. Po-lice-man.
Miss Williams. 26 maidens, young girls. 27 frown, angry look. 2Sappears, was seen (by Willie).
29 weary, tired. 3°pilgrim, a wanderer. 31 moments, minutes. 32 serenely, quietly. 33 private fears, nurse was afraid Willie was lost. 34hero, brave one.
35 dissolved in tears, began to cry. Or Write and Learn (Difficult words). but-ton. bed-stead, tease.
cu-ri-ous. teas-ed. ac-com-plish. has-sock. voy-age.
teas-ing. bis-cuit. Lesson 202.—Tuesday Morning. Geography. Answer
these Questions. (1) What is an Island ? (2) What is a Lake ?
(3) What do you call the largest divisions of water, and what the smaller ones ?
(4) What are the banks of a river ? What is their use?