« ForrigeFortsæt »
Capt. & Bt. Lt.-Col. Breden, Major Lieut.-Col Buckner, R. Art. vice Fraser
12 June Major E. Power, 7 Dr. G. J. Power, Major
Macalester, 13 Dr. vice Vivion
Hesketh, 3 F. G.
Edgeworth, 35 F. vice Pym
Capt. Storer, 51 F.
Rycroft, W. Kent Militia. h. p. Capt. vice F. Power
Lieut. Young, 8 Dr.
do. 1st Lieut. Cubitt, 2d Capt. do.
Capt. Bolton, from h. p. 14 F. to Ceylon Corps. Staff Ass. Surg. Twining, Super Ass.
Hosp. Assist. Simoens, from half to full pay. Surg. in India, vice Mouat, 13 F. 12 June
(But allowed to receive the regulated Value of his pern. As.. Surg. in East Indies, vice
Commission, Campbell, 30 F.
19 June James Young, Hospital Assist. to the
Brevet Major Edgeworth, 35 F.
(But allowed to receive the regulated Value of his Bt. Lt.-Col. Allan, from 1 W. I. R. with Maj. Ca
Commission,) padose, h. p. 56 F.
Brevet Major Wilder, 35 F.
General Manners, Col. 30 F. 9 June, 1823 Ferguson, from 9 Dr. rec. diff. with Capt. Major-General Latham, late of 7 Dr. Gds. DubLord Loughborough, h. p. 20 F.
Place, from 55 F. rec. diff. with Capt. Cane, Lieut.-Colonel Stopford, h. p. 60 F. Pisa, 13 May h. p. 2 Gar. Bn.
Captain Adamson, ret. list, 1 Vet. Bn. Vauxhall Cradock, from 81 F. with Capt. Montagu, Road,
15 May h. p. 64 F.
Raleigh, h. p. 20 F.
9 Feb. Earl of Belfast, from Cape Corps (Cav.)
Chapman, W. Kent Militia with Capt. Cox, h. p. 1 Dr.
Lieut. Gilbert. 20 F.
Colabah, Bomay F.
17 Jan. Capt. Taylor, h. p. 22 Dr.
Vickers, h. p. 3 F.
9 May Lieut. Clarke, from 1 Dr. G. rec. diff. with Lieut.
Millar, h. p. 5 F. near Thurso, 27 do. Lt. Hon. C. Westenra, h. p. 8 Dr.
Harding, h. p. 24 F.
30 Oct. 1822 Smith, from 4 Dr. with Lieut. Sir K. A.
Brierley, h. p. 57 F. Oldham, 28 Apr. 1823 Jackson, Bt. 14 Dr.
M'Adam, h. p. 58 F. Maybole, 26 Feb. Callaghan, from 15 Dr. rec. diff. with Lieut.
Colin Campbell, h. p. 74 F. Halifax, N. S. Scott, h. p. Carnie, from 6 F. rec. diff. with Lieut. Mac
Wirth, h. p. Brunswick Inf. Brunswick, bean, h. p. 93 F.
15 do. Fraser, from 7 F. with Lieut. Stuart, 46 F.
Agostini, h. p. Corsican, Ran. Corsica, do. Marshall, from 10 F. rec. diff. with Lieut. Cornet Clarke, h. p. 23 Dr. 17 Aug. 1822 Majendie, h. p. 89 F.
Ensign Vanderzee, 30 F. Sccunderabad, Madras, Kent, from 14 F. with Lieut. Crawford,
18 Dec. 1822 h. p. 60 F.
Watt, Cape Corps, Graham's Town, Cape Everett, from 27 F. rec. diff. with Lieut.
of Good Hope,
18 Mar. 1823 Vandeleur, h. p. 85 F.
M'Phail, ret. list, 10 Vet. Bn. London, Monro, from 32 F. rec. diff. with Lieut.
19 June Harrison, h. p. 65 F.
O'Hara, h. p. 55 F. O'Harabrook, County French, from 63 F. with Lieut. Conroy,
23 Jan. h. p. 38 F.
Paymaster Capt. Biddulph, 25 F. Southampton, Macdonald, from 89 F. with Lieut Macleod, h. p. 4 W. I. R.
Heacock, 77 F. Edinburgh, Ens. Black, from 68 F. rec. diff. with Ens. Cogan, Quarter-Master Scott, h. p. 21 Dr. h. p. 19 F.
Wingate, h. p. Lothian Fenc. Cav. Warden, from 62 F. with Ens. Caldecott, h.p.
do. Ass. Surg. Hickman, from R. Horse Gds. with
Browne, h. p. Frazer'. Fenc. Inf. Ass. Surg. Bett, h. p. 98 F.
4 June Thompson, from 86 F. with Ass. Surg.
Chaplain Nixon, h. p. 103 F. Dublin, 22 Mar. Hendrick, h. p. 12 É.
Surgeon Little, h. p. 36 F.
Assistant Surgeon Dr Burke, h. p. 37 F. Ireland, Resignations and Retirements.
Hospital Assistant Sutherland, Fort George, N.B. Maj.-Gen. Lord Muskerry, 38 F.
4 June Col. Francklin, R. Art. Griffiths,
26 Apr. 30 May 9 Apr.
BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, AND DEATHS.
3. At London, Alex. Howden, Esq. of TorMay 8. At Gibraltar, the Lady of William Fil- rington Square, to Christian, daughter of Richard der, Esq. Deputy-Commissary General there, of Gairdner, Esq. of Stoke Hall, Essex.
- At Gilmour Place, Mr John Donald, mer31. At the Parsonage Feston, the Lady of the
chant, Glasgow, to Jessie, eldest daughter
of Mr Hon. and Rev. Francis Noel, of a daughter.
Robert Kerr, merchant, Edinburgh. June 2. At Edinburgh, the Lady of William L.
At the Manse of Corington, Walter SomerWhite, Esq. advocate, of a son.
ville, Esq. surgeon in Carnwath, to Janet, only - At Lorn Manse, Mrs Balfour, of a son.
daughter of the Rev. William Watson, minister The Lady of Dr Maclean, Esq. of Bruns
of Biggar, wick Square, London, of a daughter.
5. At Parson's Green, John Gardiner Kinnear, 3. At Woolwich Common, the Lady of Capt.
Esq. banker, to Mary, eldest daughter of Alex. H. W. Gordon, Royal Artillery, of a daughter.
Smith, Esq. banker. - At Broughton Park House, Mrs Yule, of a
Át Hâlleaths, Robert Maclauchlan, Esq. of
Maclauchlan, to Helen Catherine, daughter of the 4. At Newington, Mrs M.Candlish, of a daugh
late W. A. Carruthers, Esq. of Dormont. ter.
6. At Edinburgh, Mr George Rule, Commer- At 57, Albany Street, Mrs Scott, of a son.
cial Bank, to Miss Sawers, daughter of Mr Wil6. In Charlotte Street, Mrs William J. Dalzel,
liam Sawers, merchant, Edinburgh. of a son.
7. At Forglen House, Joseph Murray, Esq10. At 46, India Street, Mrs Dunlop, of a
younger of Ayton, to Grace, youngest daughter o daughter.
Sir George Abercromby of Birkenbog, Bart. - The Hon. Lady Fergusson, of a daughter.
9. At Edinburgh, Robert Brunton, Esq. mer11. At Melrose, Árs Captain Stedman, of a
chant, Leith, to Jane, daughter of the late Mr daughter.
William Jack, merchant, Edinburgh. 12. At Dunchattan, Mrs Horrocks, of a daugh
11. At Kelso, George Pott, Esq. Penchrist, to ter.
Jane, daughter of Mr William Elliot, architect. At Warriston Crescent, Mrs A. Plímer, of a
12. At Gayfield Square, Mr James Peter Mitdaughter.
chell, brewer, to Charlotte, eldest daughter of 14. At 25, Gayfield Square, Mrs James Irvine,
Kincaid Mackenzie, Esq. of a son.
13. At Granshaws, Joseph Stephenson, Esq. 15. At Farnham, Dorset, the Lady of Sir S. surgeon, Dunse, to Isabella, second daughter of Stuart, Bart. of a son and heir.
Mr Bertram, Cranshaws. - At his Lordship's house, in Albemarle Street,
At Berwick, George A. Gray, Esq. of MidLondon, Lady F. Leveson Gower, of twin sons.
dle-Ord, to Isabella, daughter of John Morrison, - Mrs John Brougham, of a daughter.
Esq. banker, Berwick-upon-Tweed. At No. 1, Hill Street, Mrs Ramsay, of a daugh
14. At London, John M'Neile, Esq. of Ballyter
castle, Ireland, to Charlotte Lavinia, youngest 16. At No. 41, Northumberland Street, Mrg
daughter of Major-General Sir Thomas Dallas,
K.C.B. Bridges, of a daughter. 18. At No. 134, George Street, Mrs Robert Ca
17. At Edinburgh, Josiah Nisbet, Esq. of the dell, of a daughter.
Madras civil service, to Rachel, second daughter - In Drummond Place, Edinburgh, the Lady
of Sir John Marjoribanks of Lees, Bart. M.P. of A. Scott Broomfield, Esq. of a daughter.
- At Edinburgh, Mr Maurice Lothian, solici19. At Munster House, Ireland, Lady Jane
tor-at.law, to Margaret, youngest daughter of Lawrence Peel, of a son and heir.
Charles Black, Esq. London Street.
18. At Leith, Mr James Luke, Muircambus. to George Elliott, of a daughter.
Janet, daughter of Mr Robert Simson, King's 21. At Polkemmet, the Lady of William Bail
Kettle, Fifeshire. lie of Polkemmet, Esq. of a son.
23. At Gorgie Mains, Capt. Robert Thomson, At 7, Royal Circus, Mrs Carlyle Bell, of a to Marshall, youngest daughter of the late Mr
John Milne, Founder, Edinburgh. son. - At Gilston House, Fifeshire, the Lady of
24. At Clayton, Major John Falconer Briggs, Captain Parsons, of a daughter.
younger of Strathairly, to Miss Walker, only 23. Mrs Milner of Nunmonkton, near York, of
daughter of the late Col. P. Walker of Clayton,
in the service of the Hon. East India Company. a daughter. 24. At 3, Hill Square, Mrs A. Gifford, of a son.
- At Liverpool, Mr James Glover, writing25. At the Manse of Ashkirk, Mrs Hamilton,
master, to Mary, eldest daughter of the Rev. of a son.
Alex. Macgowan, minister of Dalry, Kirkcud27. At Laurieston Place, Mrs Alex. Wood, of a
26. At Boggs, East Lothian, William Somner, son. 28. At Camsell Park, the Lady of Sir Joseph
Esq. of Skedsbush, to Margaret Harriet, eldest Radcliffe, Bart. of a daughter.
daughter of Mr Charles Howden. 29. In Fort Street, North Leith, the wife of
At Cheltenham, the Rev. John Netherton Lieut. Charles Smith, Royal Navy, of a son.
Harward, eldest son of the Rev. J. Harward, of 30 At Poyntzfield House, the Lady of Major
Hartlebury, Worcestershire, to Harriet, daughter George Gun Munro, of a daughter.
of Richard Butler, Esq. of West Hall near Chel
tenham. - At Merchiston House, Mrs Hepburne, of Clarkington, of a daughter.
27. At Lochmill, Linlithgow, Mr Alex. Henderson, Linlithgow, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter
of Mr Thomas Kilgour, paper-manufacturer there. MARRIAGES.
30. At Gladswood, near Melrose, George G. Dec. 20, 1822. At Calcutta, Captain William
Hill, Esq. Gower Street, Bedford Square, LonKennedy, Assistant Military Auditor-General, to
don, to Isabella, eldest daughter of John AnderCharlotte, second daughter of Lieut.-General Sir son, Esq. of Gladswood. Robert Blair, K.C.B.
Jan. 15. At Quilon, in the East Indies, Captain Charles F. Grice, of the Hon. Company's marines, and master attendant at Quilon, to Mar
DEATHS. garet, eldest daughter of the late James Arnot, Dec. 31. 1822. At Bombay, the Rev. Geo. MarEsq. Arbikie, Forfarshire.
tin, M. A. one of the Chaplains to the Hon. East May 14. At New York, Mr M. Drury, of Phi- India Company, at that station, and brother-inladelphia, to Miss S. Steel, of Edinburgh.
law to the Duke of Atholl. June 2. At Liverpool, the Rev. Dr Barr, of Jan. 20. 1823. At Trichinopoly, of the cholera Port-Glasgow, to Sarah Jane, daughter of Mr morbus, which attacked him while under medical Matthew Steele, of the former place.
treatment for acute rheumatism, Mungo Park, - At Weedingshall, Duncan Stewart, Esq. sur- M.D. eldest son of the celebrated African travelgeon, Borrowstounness, to Miss Margaret Smith. ler.
Mar. 30. At Castries, St Lucia, Mr James Fle- 14. At Lopness, in Orkney, Margaret, eldest ming Loudon, son of Morehead Loudoun, Esq. daughter of Mr William Strang. Glasgow.
At Dunbar, Lieut.-Colonel John Clark, April 30. At St John's, Newfoundland, Mr Royal Marines. Donald H. M'Caman, formerly of the Island of - At her house, in Upper Grosvenor Street, Isiay.
London, the Countess de Dunstan ville. May 19. At Halifax, Nova Scotia, Lieut.-Co- At her house, in Nicolson Square, Mrs Ju.. lonel P.Waterhouse, Major of the 81st regiment. lia Hope, wife of Mr Thomas Manners, writer to
June 1. At Culross, the Rev.Walter Macalpine, the signet, and depute-clerk of session. first minister of that parish, in the 82d year of 15. At Edinburgh, Dr John Thomson, R. N. his age, and 54th year of his ministry.
At Manse of Durris, the Rev. William Stra- At Arniston Place, Henrietta Chisholme, chan, minister of that parish, in the 79th year of youngest daughter of Geo. Lang, Esq.
his age, and 52d of his ministry. - At Edinburgh, Mrs MacAllan, spouse of Mr At Warriston Crescent, Agnes, wife of Mr A. James MacAllan, writer to the signet, and daugh- Plimer, of the Stamp-office. ter of Mr Robert Ainslie, writer to the signet.
16. At his house, Caltonhill, Archibald Elliott, 2. At Ettrick Bank, Matilda, only daughter of Esq. architect. William Ogilvie, Esq. younger of Chesters.
At 101, Prince's Street, Isabella, daughter - At Paris, Marshal Davoust, Prince of Eck- of the Rev. James Grant, minister of Laggan. muhl, after a long and painful pulmonary con- At Old Hall, near Warre, Thomas Cleghorn, sumption.
Esq. At Peterhead, James Trail, Esq. surgeon.
Mr Robert Ogle, of the firm of Ogle, Dun3. At Edinburgh, Mrs Faulkner, late of the can, & Co. booksellers, London. Theatre-Royal.
At Ballancrieff House, the Hon. Clara Mary At Musselburgh, Louisa, wife of J. H. Home, Murray, second daughter of the Right Hon. Lord Esq. of Longformacus, and fourth daughter of Elibank. the late Captain David Ramsay, Royal Navy.
At his house, Royal Exchange, Mr James At Northam, Suffolk, Miss Mary Foulis, Kirkwood, junior. youngest daughter of the late Sir James Foulis of 18. At Sorrento, in the Bay of Naples, Ronald, Colington, Bart.
second son of John Crauford, Esq. of Auche4. At Edinburgh, Robert Hill, son of the late Lieut.-Colonel Thomas Hill, of the East India Mr Thomas Sheriff, late ship-master, DunCompany's Service.
bar. - At Kinghorn, Mrs Helen Wallace, wife of - At Wimbledon, near London, Samuel CharLieut. Evan Macpherson, Aberdeenshire Militia. ters Somerville, Esq. W. S. Edinburgh, second
At Perth, John Hay, eldest son of James son of the Rev. Dr Somerville, Jedburgh. Paterson, Esq. of Carpow.
- At Colzium, James Davidson, Esq. writer to 5. At Abington Hall, Staffordshire, Janet, the
the signet. infant daughter of William Hay, Esq. of Drum- - At St Andrews, Mrs Isabella Stormonth, remelzier.
lict of Mr James Mowat, late Rector of the - At Aberdeen, Mr Robert Troup, merchant. Grammar School there.
6. In Merrion Square, Dublin, the venerable - At London, William Gordon, Esq. of CampJudge Fletcher.
belton, in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright. At Farme, Miss Margaret Farie, sister of 19. At London, at the advanced age of 81, Mr James Farie, Esq. of Farme, and on the 8th inst. William Coombe, the author of “ The Diabohis daughter, Miss Farie.
liad,” “ the Tour of Dr Syntax," and many other 7. In Dublin Street, Mrs James Hunter.
works. 8. At Fort William, Mr John Wallace, rector At his house, Leith Walk, Charles Fraser, of the Academy there.
of Williamston, Esq. At Aberdeen, Mr James Mowat, merchant - At Versailles, in France, Isabella, wife of and manufacturer.
Major-General John Murray. At Ayr, David Scott, Esq. banker.
20. At his house, Canongate, Mr William Bur, At Gibraltar, John Macdonald Buchanan, ton, merchant. Esq. of Drummakill.
At Rothie House, James Leslie, Esq. of RoAt Aberdeen, Captain Robert Christie, late thie. of the 88th regiment.
21. At New York, William Blackie, Esq. late 9. In Curzon Street, Mayfair, General Robert merchant in Glasgow. Manners, Colonel of the 30th regiment.
23. At Edinburgh, Elizabeth, wife of Mr James At Dryden, the seat of Sir Charles Macdo- M Innes, S.S.C. Prince's Street. nald Lockhart, Bart, Mr James Borthwick, aged - At Catherine Bank, Mrs Margaret Spalding, 81, whose ancestors had been for upwards of 300 wife of the Rev. Dr Ireland, North Leith. years upon the estate.
- At her house, in Seymour Place, London, At Dalserf House, Thomas Paterson, Esq. the Dutchess Dowager of Cardigan. late Paymaster of the 22d regiment of foot.
25. At Louth Hall, in the county of Louth, af10. At Ayr, Captain Bedford Stewart, late of ter a short indisposition, occasioned by the burst. the Irish revenue service.
ing of a blood vessel, Thomas Lord Baron Louth, At Leith, Mr Cundell, late cashier of the in the 60th year of his age. Leith Banking Company.
28. At Edinburgh, Miss Margaret Craigie, - At Stirling, Colin Dawson, Esq. writer. youngest daughter of the late John Craigie, Esq.
- In York Place, Thomas, eldest son of Dr of Quebec. Gillespie.
29. At Porterfield Cottage, near Edinburgh, in At Leith, Mrs Anne Clark, relict of Mr the 72d year of his age, Dr William Farquharson, John Rogers, soap-manufacturer, Fisherrow. physician in Edinburgh, a man eminent in his
At the Manse of Dumbarney, Mr Alex. An- profession, warm and steady in his friendships, derson, son of Mr John Anderson, Newburgh, Fife. and of much urbanity of manners.
i2. At Waterford, Lieut.-General William 30. At Stamford, Lincolnshire, Octavius Graham Doyle.
Gilchrist, Esq. a distinguished literary character, 13. At Theobalds, Hatfield, Herts, the Marquis at the early age of 45 years. of Salisbury.
Mr Alexander Lesslie, of Conduit Street, 14. At Edinburgh, Mary Ross, third daughter London, of Mr George Stedman, Solicitor Supreme Courts.
Printed by James Ballantyne and Co. Edinburgh.
121 123 133 139 145 163
HISTORY OF THE GARDEN OF PLANTS, PARIS,
Note on Neill's Horticultural Tour through Flanders, Holland, &c.
NAPOLEON AT ST HELENA, ·
The Rev. Mr Irving,
Six Months before, and Six Months after October, 1814,
A Ball at the Opera House,
Mr North’s Lecture on “ The Choice ;” Poem recently written by Leigh
Hunt, a Convert, and Vice-Poet-Laureate to Blackwood's Magazine,
169 173 181 184 188 191 192
193 196 199 200 202
WILLIAM BLACKWOOD, No. 17, PRINCE'S STREET, EDINBURGH ;
AND T. CADELL, STRAND, LONDON ;
To whom Communications ( post paid) may be addressed.
JAMES BALLANTYNE & CO. PRINTERS, EDINBURGH