Billeder på siden

establishment in the city of New York, furnished the article to order. The business was in full blast long before John Buchanan's day; and there is good reason to believe that it is regularly carried on at the present time. The monopoly may have been disturbed, but little more.

In 1852 the Central Medical College abandoned the field and united again with the institution at Syracuse. Dr. Calvin Newton came from Massachusetts to help the enterprise. One session, however, was all that he would give. Finally the building was burned and the college came to an end. There was not money to carry it on. Its graduates, many of them, are still in our ranks and excellent physicians.

Doctor Potter then removed to Cincinnati and became a professor in the American Medical College. His fluent speech, attractive address and sanguine temper were excellent qualities to begin a college with. He was an organiser by nature, and believed in organic bodies as a means of success. After two or three years the college coalesced with its rival, and Dr. Potter removed to Hamilton, Ohio, where he continued to live to the time of his death. He aided at the reorganisation of the National Association at Chicago in 1870, and also at the establishing of the American Medical College at St. Louis, which now hold a deservedly high rank in the profession.

He was Vice-President and Corresponding Secretary of the National Association; and held the office four times of President of the Ohio State Eclectic Medical Association. He was so many times the Secretary that it is not easy to enumerate them. He helped form the Miami District Eclectic Medical Society and was generally its president. He also held several political offices in the city and was health officer.

Doctor Potter was prolific as a writer on medical topics. He edited no less than five or six journals; was a frequent contributor to others up to the last; and his Compendium of Medical Practice went through several editions. He could not well keep still. He was four times married, and had a numerous offspring; several of them were of much promise. Impulsive to an extreme, he did not hesitate when others would be careful. When in Syracuse, the arrest of the negro

Jerry took place, October 1, 1851. It was an occasion of great excitement; the county fair was being held, but the affair of the fugitive absorbed every man's attraction. The Government was endeavoring to treat attempts at rescue as treason to be capitally punished. Gerrit Smith, Rev. Samuel J. May and others were intimidated by this and pleaded for submission. Thomas G. White, W. L. Crandal and others organised a rescue. Jerry was delivered and kept a week in Syracuse. Dr. Potter then carried him off to Lake Ontario in his own carriage, and though many knew it, the authorities never found him out. Curious as it may seem, Charles B. Sedgwick, two years later, did not scruple to assail him in very offensive language.

The last years of Dr. Potter's life were spent in Hamilton where he was very pleasantly situated. He had a great share of public confidence, was always active, and seems to have enjoyed a prosperity to which he had been a stranger in his native State. He had been a Baptist at the East; but in his later years be affiliated with the Universalists. He was well adapted for a pioneer; though of the temperament and disposition which many of us are prone to find fault with. He made his mark, and will not be soon forgotten.


The death of Doctor M. M. Prentiss took place at his late residence, Rushville, Illinois, October 13, 1883. Doctor Prentiss became a member of the National Association at its annual meeting in Springfield, Ill., June, 1875. He was also a member of the Illinois Medical Society, and was a physician of much merit. He had been unwell for some time, and died from internal hemorrhage.


Do thy work; it shall succeed

In thine or in another's day;
And if thou miss the victor's meed,

Thou shalt not miss the toiler's pay.

Permetus D. Yost was born in Marion County, West Virginia, February 11th, 1842. He was the son of Dr. Nicholas

Yost, whose death ten years later left him an orphan. He possessed great energy and determination, acquiring a liberal education by his own unaided efforts. He first became teacher and then editor of the Marion County Independent, filling both vocations ably and acceptably. Deciding however to be a physician, he entered upon a regular course and graduated at the Eclectic Medical Institute in 1865. He became a regular practitioner immediately afterward at Mannington, West Virginia; soon acquiring prominence as a physician and a man of liberal knowledge, and for his zealous efforts for the wellbeing of the community in which he lived.

He removed to St. Louis in 1873 and aided in the establishment of the American Medical College. He held the position of Secretary of its Board of Trustees and Professor of Obstetrics till his death. He was endowed with great public spirit, earnestness and perseverance, as well as with the gentlest of dispositions; and as a result was one of those who are always called upon for every conceivable purpose to render service in this and that, and to hold all manner of trusts. Nor did he ever prove unworthy of confidence. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and an active worker in the Sunday school and other departments of church labor. He belonged to the Masonic Order and several other benevolent associations. He seemed to omit no opportunity to work, and yet was more disposed to retire from them than to court prominence.

Dr. Yost became a member of the National Eclectic Medical Association at its annual meeting at Indianapolis in 1873, directly after his removal to St. Louis. He seldom took part in debates, but was carefully watchful of the proceedings. He detested ostentation and presumptuous ignorance, and favored a vigorous enforcement of discipline. It was on his motion that Doctors Filkins and Hole were expelled from the Association, though he took no part in their prosecution. At the annual meeting in Topeka, in 1883, he was, by the appointment of President Howe, the Chairman of Section CObstetrics and Gynecology; and the present volume of the Transactions affords evidence of his efficiency and abundant

justification of the wisdom of his selection. His own paper was admirably written and suggestive of most important topics in physiological science; and the discussion which it elicited was one of the most interesting that was entertained. The other papers, most of them possessing much merit, were contributed at his personal solicitation. Thus he always did his work well and thoroughly.

In addition to this he, of his own accord, suggested and carried into effect the arrangements for an excursion of the members of the National Association to Baxter Springs in the southeastern corner of Kansas. The newly-elected officers, ex-Presidents Munn and Duncan, Doctors Gemmill, Butcher, Reichard, Pitzer, Jay, Pruitt, Durham, Lynch, and other prominent Fellows, with their wives, took part; and so admirable were the appointments that everything went off without a misadventure. The general hilarity, the friendships then cemented, and the good time enjoyed, made the occasion memorable. Only the master himself was the sufferer. The party visited the Modoc Settlement in the Indian Territory, where among other things a meeting was organised, addresses were made by medicine men of both tribes, and several original songs were chanted. Doctor Yost had the misfortune to sprain his ankle and was unable to return with the others. All bade him good-bye with heart-felt regret at parting so soon; a meeting was called at the Baxter Springs Hotel and resolutions adopted of warm acknowledgement. It was his hour of triumph. He was at the height of his popularity. The failure to elect his colleague, Dr. Younkin, President of the Association, in 1881, had greatly disappointed him; now that wish had been realised and he seem to enjoy it above his

own successes.

He had been appointed by the Governor a member of the State Board of Health of Missouri, and was chosen its Treasurer. He was also a member of its Committee on Regulations and had been successful in securing the proper recognition of Eclectics on an equal footing with other physicians in the State.

The parting at Baxter Springs was as a separating of life

long friends; but none suspected that it would be final. All looked to a joyful reunion in 1884. Dr. Yost returned home a few days afterward and was engaged at once in laborious practice and the organising of the new Board. He was not robust and the signs of enfeeblement were conspicuous. He did not succumb however till the ninth of August. He then was prostrated by typhoid fever. His colleagues were as loyal to him as he had been to them. Doctors Pitzer, Younkin and Merrell gave him their daily attention and were confident of a favorable issue. He nevertheless had no such hope. He was totally exhausted, he would insist; the recuperative energy was spent and he was certain to die. He never faltered in this belief. He even provided for the funeral services, selecting clergymen to attend, etc. On the afternoon of the 16th he was suffering, as fever-patients so frequently do, from the feeling of privation of respirable air, and besought his attendant to open the windows in the several rooms. As she was engaged at this, the sense of suffocation came upon him so unendurably that he left his bed and hastened to the window. Putting out his head he lost his balance and fell out, a distance of seventeen feet, striking flat upon the side-walk and receiving the full shock upon the stomach. It was fatal. Two policemen brought him in and laid him upon the bed; the physicians were summoned, but to no purpose. He never spoke again, and in half an hour he ceased to breathe.

His funeral was conducted as he had directed. The principal clergymen assisted, and the oldest citizens were present. The Masonic Order performed part of the rites; the College, State Board of Health and City Government being represented by pall-bearers. The animosities peculiar to the medical profession and always disgraceful to scientific men, were totally absent; physicians of every school rendered honor to the remains of their departed brother. The eulogy of the officiating clergyman, Dr. Tudor, described him as a man of gifts, talents and parts of no ordinary character; enquiring in every field, dipping into every kind of knowledge. Morally, he was industrious; there was not an indolent nerve in his whole body; perhaps he labored too hard and undertook

« ForrigeFortsæt »