Billeder på siden

have found spermatozoa coming in contact with the egg and the ovary. It seems to me we may have an extra tubal pregnancy.

DR WARD:-I do not see but what these surgeons did as well as any one could have done at the time of the operation. You know it is not pleasant to say unpleasant things, or say, 1 told you so, but I believe these kind of cases should not be allowed to go on too long. It seems to me that there should be no danger, and there is no danger, no more than cutting off a finger. Occasionally the person will die; occasionally persons die when they stick a pin in their finger or step on a piece of glass.

It is not always best to wait till the patient gives permission before performing an operation, yet no surgeon has gone in and said, you must have an operation, but they have said a number of times, you ought to have, and he has gotten up and is all right so far.

DR HALL:-I am sorry the paper was not received with a more extended discussion, because the case was to me a very important one. But I can say that there was never but two occasions when she was really in a condition to bid fair to stand an operation well, and that was about the first of August when I took charge of the case, when there was no well defined mass in the cavity, and while we discussed this, the history was very indefinite. In fact it was very hard to get anything out of him in regard to the history of the case. Just at the' time I first saw her on this second occasion, when she seemed to get better, was the very time that we might have operated and possibly have saved her life, because she was building up and was hopeful and was so very much better that an operation would have been justified. We made abdominal section first, but we opened the abscess. When in spite of the extreme condition, if it had been possible for her to escape pneumonia, I think our patient would have recovered. I am very much obliged to the gentlemen for having discussed it.

The executive committee submitted the following report: Officers for the


ensuing year: J. E. Summers, M. D., President, Omaha, Neb.; H. C. Crowell, M. D., 1st Vice President, Kansas City; J. C. Shrader, M. D., 2d Vice Pres ident, Iowa City Ia.; T. J. Beattie, M. D., Secretary, Kansas City; M. R. Mitchell, M. D., Treasurer, Topeka, Kas.; executive committee, Drs. M. B. Ward, Topeka; L. Schooler, Des Moines; C. W. Adams, Kansas City; W. F. Sawhill, Concordia; A. F. Jonas, Omaha.

Next place of meeting, Kansas City, December 26-27, 1895. Report adopted.

(To be continued in our next issue.)

[blocks in formation]

The annual meeting of this National body convened in Baltimore on May 7th, and was in every respect a representative session, there being fully two thousand physicians and surgeons in attendance.

The spacious music hall afforded ample room for the general sessions, as well as for the various sections.

Dr. Donald Maclean of Detroit, Michigan, presided with grace and dignity. Mayor Latrobe, in a well worded address, extended the visitors a hearty welcome.

The subject of the President's annual address, "A Few Living Issues Affecting the Practice of Medicine and What Came of Them," was listened to with great interest. Regarding a National Bureau of Health, he said:

A National Bureau of Health, superintended by a competent medical authority, who shall be a member of the cabinet, could not fail to secure for the nation benefits beyond the language of dollars and cents to express. It is my deliberate opinion that the establishment of a bureau of health as an integral part of the nation's executive will prove an effective instrument in promoting the public welfare.

The party, professional or political, which shall succeed in consummating this wise measure will assuredly earn for itself the gratitude and applause of an apreciative nation."

A motion by Dr. Solis-Cohen to investigate the quack advertisements in the Journal, gave rise to much discussion, but was lost.

The Rush Monument Committee reported over $3.000 on hand, and Dr. Gihon stated that the shaft could be

be erected at once if the Association would contribute $13,000.

Dr. Henry T. Holton of Vermont, offered to make one of the one hundred members to contribute $100 each toward the fund, and was supplemented by Drs. William H. Daley, Pennsylvania; Henry O. Marcy, Boston; O. H. Wingate, Wisconsin; J. M. Keller, Arkansas; S. W. Free, Pennsylvania; John Wyeth, New York; Jerome Cochran, Alabama; A. Garcelon, Maine; J. M. Ridge, New Jersey; B. D. Evans, Donald Maclean, Detroit. Dr. J. M. Reeves, of New Jersey, and Dr. Patrick Espy promised the fund respectively $50 and $25. Dr. Wyeth, who was chairman of the New York Committee which erected a monument to Dr. J. Marion Sims, afterward raised his subscription to $500, provided five others gave like amounts.

The Judicial Council very wisely refered back to the respective State Societies the ethical questions brought up by the Allegheny Medical Society, the Cleveland Medical Society, and the St. Louis Medical Society.

The much discused question of advertising in the Journal, was finally disposed of by the following report of the trustees:

"The trustees confidently assert that none of its contemporaries present advertising pages that are as free from objectionable material. During the year no advertisements of secret remedies have been accepted that were not accompanied by a formula, but, to still further comply with what appears to be a desire of a large number of those interested in the highest success of the Journal, the editor, with the termination of the present contract, has been instructed to accept no advertisements of medicinal preparations the proprietors of which do not give а formula containing the official or chemic name and quantity of each composing ingredient to be inserted as a part of the advertisement."

The expenditures of the Board of Trustees during the fiscal year of eleven months amounted to $30,884.82, and the receipts $36,245.90, leaving a balance of $5,361.08.

The annual address on Surgery was delivered by Dr. C. E. Wheaton of Minnesota, and was well received. The doctor presented a general resume of the year's progress, along the line of surgical science, and also gave some accounts of the new operations illustrating the value to humanity of the


recent marked advances in that science.

The annual address on State Medicine was delivered by Dr. Henry D. Holton, of Vermont. Among the points emphasized by the doctor, were the following:

1. The State Boards of Health should be given more power in carrying out what they consider best for the general health of the people.

2. A National Department of Public Health, and an advisory board consisting of one member from each state, should be subject to the call of the secretary in times of threatened epidemic.

3. The necessity of government inspection in regard to cattle diseases, milk and the examination of patented medicines.


The report of the comittee on nominations caused considerable excitement in the convention hall on account of its objecting to the retention of Dr. Atkinson as Secretary. Dr. J. N. Quimby of New Jersey, was first on the floor and espoused the cause of Dr. Atkinson. He referred to the thirty-one years continuous service as secretary, and moved that the report of the committee be not received. Dr. William Osler of Johns-Hopkins university surprised his best friends by his bitter speech against Dr. Atkinson, in which he characterized him as being incompetent to hold the office.

The vote of the Association, however, was nearly unanimous in favor of Dr. Atkinson's retention as permanent secretary.

New officers:

President, Dr. R. Beverly Cole, of San Francisco, Cal.

First Vice President, Dr. J. J. Chisholm of Baltimore.

Second Vice President, Dr. John C. Le Grand of Alabama.

Third Vice President, Dr. Augustus B. Clark of Massachusetts.

Fourth Vice President, Dr. T. P. Sutterwhite of Kentucky.

Treasurer, Dr. William B. Atkinson of Pennsylvania.

Librarian, Dr. G. E. Wise of Illinois. Members of the Board of Trustees, Alonzo Garcelon of Maine, Dr. I. N. Love of Missouri, Dr. James E. Reeves of Ten


Members of the Judicial Council:

Dr. N. S. Davis of Illinois, Dr. H. 0. Didama of New York, Dr. John Morris of Maryland, Dr. W. E. B. Davis of Alabama, Dr. George W. Brower of Chicago, Dr. D. W. Smouse of Iowa, Dr. M. B. Ward of Kansas, for three years each; and Dr. William M. Welch of Pennsyl

vania, for one year. Those selected to deliver the annual addresses at the next meeting are: Address on Surgery, Dr. Nicholas Senn, of Illinois; address on General Medicine, Dr. William Osler of Baltimore, address on State Medicine Dr. George H. Rohe of Catonsville, Md.

NEXT MEETING-AT ATLANTA. Dr. Gihon, U. S. N., headed a movement for Washington, and proposing that the meting be held in connection with the celebration of the Centennial of the Discovery of Vaccination. The southern faction, with Dr. Macfadden Gaston and Dr. Cochran, of Alabama, was too strong for the capital men, and Atlanta won, after a long struggle.

The social features of the occasion were most enjoyable, including receptions, by local physicians, various hospitals, and a steamboat ride up the bay, concluding with a grand concert and ball, at which the elite of Baltimore was represented.

[blocks in formation]


This Association held its second annual meeting at the Eutaw house on the 6th and 7th of May, with the following in attendance:

Dr. J. C. Culbertson, Cincinnati, Ohio; Miss Dora Jones, St. Louis, Mo.; Dr. John C. Le Grand, Anniston, Alabama; Dr. C. F. Taylor, William B. Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa.; Miss Hackedorn, Toledo, Ohio; Dr. F. E. Stewart, Detroit, Mich.; J. MacDonald, Jr., Irving J. Benjamin, Dr. Ferdinand King, Dr. H. P. Fairchild, New York City; Dr. R. W. Lowe, Bridgeport, Conn., Dr. W. C. Wile, Danbury, Conn.; Dr. H. M. Simmons, Dr. William B. Canfield, Baltimore, Md.; H. A. Mathie, Dr. A. H. Ohman- Dumesnil, Dr. I. N. Love, St. Louis, Mo.; Dr. Landon B. Edwards, Richmond, Va.; Dr. Hudson, Austin, Texas; Dr. William F. Bartlett, Philadelphia; Dr. T. D. Crothers, Hartford, Conn.; Dr. Gilbert I. Cullen, Cincinnati, Ohio; Dr. Henry S. Upson, Cleveland, Ohio; Dr. E. E. Holt,


Portland, Maine; Charles Wood Fassett, St. Joseph, Mo.

Nineteen new members were admitted and questions of the day affecting medical publishers were profitably discussed.

Beginning with July 1st, a monthly bulletin will be issued for the benefit of members of the Association. It is to be edited by Drs. P. H. Fairchild, J. Mac Donald, Jr., and Ferdinand King, New York City; Dr. J. C. Le Grand of Anniston, Alabama, and Charles Wood Fassett, of St. Joseph, Mo.

The secretary was authorized to issue in pocket form, a revised list of medical advertisers.

Upon invitation, the Association banqueted with the Medical Editors, on Monday evening.

The officers re-elected were as follows: President, Dr. Landon B. Edwards, of Richmond, Va.; Vice President, Dr. H. C. Culbertson, Cincinnati, Ohio; Treasurer, J. MacDonald, Jr., New York City; Secretary, Charles Wood Fassett, St. Joseph, Mo. Dr. J. C. LeGrand and Irving J. Benjamin were elected on the executive board.


The Association assented to the appeal from the American Medical Association by endorsing the four year course before the degree of M. D. could be conferred.

This was opposed at the meeting a year ago, principally by Baltimore and the colleges of the south. Dr. Thomas Opie, dean of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore sent a letter to the meeting asking that the time for the insistance on a four year course be delayed until 1900. This proposition was supported in speeches by Drs. J. Edwin Michael, dean of the University of Maryland.; Aaron Freidenwald, and J. A. White of Richmond. The vote in favor of the four year course taking effect in 1895, was 29 to 5.

Officers were chosen as follows: President, Dr. William Osler of Baltimore; Vice Presidents, Drs. J. M. Bodine of Louisville, and D. W. Graham of Chicago; secretaory and treasurer, Dr. Bayard Holmes of Chicago, and judicial council, Drs. D. S. Reynolds of Louisville, W. C. Pancost of Philadelphia, and Victor Vaughn of Ann Arbor, Mich.

THE MEDICAL EXHIBITS. Across the street from the Music hall, was an immense circular structure originally intended for a cyclorama, and this was converted into the most atractive exhibit hall it has ever been our pleasure to visit, under the supervision of Dr. B. T. Winchester.

On acount of our limited space in this issue we are compelled to defer the notices of the many other excellent exhibits until our June number.

Occupying the space around the center pole, was a most attractive booth occupied by that enterprising Baltimore house, Sharpe & Dohme, represented by Cecil Mullikin, B. T. Winchester, M. D., and G. T. Hunter, M. D.

The Pasteurine Chemical company of St. Louis, was well represented by Miss Dixie Sterne and Mr. R. C. Beaty, vice president and general manager. The floral decoration of this display was the subject of many compliments.

That old reliable house of William R. Warner & Company made an effective display under the direction of the following quartette: H. R. Chears, H. L. Kann, F. B. Stone and A. E. Remick. Mr. William R. Warner, Jr., was also present at the meeting.



The Renz & Henry Company displayed its Elixir 3 Chlorides of Tri-Iodides to good advantage, under the direction of Mr. Frank A. Henry. This house is putting of some of the most effective advertisements in the pharmaceutical line.

A particularly attractive display was that of the Vose Manufacturing Company, of Baltimore, manufacturers of Dental and Surgical supplies, Deformity apparatus etc., under the management of E. G. Irvine, assisted by Drs. J. F. Crowley, D. E. Robinson and J. V. Irvine.

The Alta Pharmacal Company were presenting the profession with samples of their new Sodium Phosphate combination, Melachol, which according to Dr. Brunton, has been found especially useful in children with hepatic derangements, on account of its gentle action. Dr. J. C. L. Patton had charge of the display.

The largest and most varied stock of surgical instruments and supplies was displayed by the Holekamp-Moore Company of St. Louis, under the supervision of Dr. J. W. Moore. This enterprising house has just placed upon the market a new continuous vaporizer that will run for twelve hours without refilling. It is especially serviceable in the treatment of affections of the nose, throat and lungs. We present below an illustration and description of this unique, but very simple and effective apparatus.

[blocks in formation]

"A" is the reservoir to collect the water which may result from the condensing of the steam as it passes from the vessel "F" out through the metal tube "G" and "C."

"E," alcohol lamp which with a smali flame, converts the water into steam as fast as it is fed by the wick "K."

"G" is the outlet tube for the steam which can be attached on an ordinary piece of tubing, or tube "G" can be lengthened by fitting the tube “C” to “G,” and then it can be lengthened by slipping the rubber tubing over this extension, as is shown by letter "B."

"J," self-feeding reservoir, being the container for the water, which can be used either medicated or not. "K," wick which feeds the vessel from the reservoir.

"L," basin to catch the surplus fluid and prevent it from running upon the table or floor in case it should overflow by feeding too fast

By filling the lamp "E" full of alcohol it will convert the fluid into steam as it passes by way of wiek "K" from reservoir “J” to “F.”



Dr. D. Hack Tuke, the celebrated alienist and author, died March 5th.

M. W. Fish, the Chicago representative of D. Appleton & Co., paid the HERALD office a visit recently.

Mr. Jno. Bird, the blind surgeon of London, Eng., died in April, at the age of 84 years. Mr. Bird has written many medical works.

Dr. H. E. Robinson, editor of the Maryville Republican, was in the city recently on his return from Macon, where he attended the reunion.

Dr. Halsey W. Foster, son of Dr. W. S. Foster, of Pittsburg, died at the age of 23 years, three weeks after graduating from the West Penn. Medical College. Dr. W. W. Bulette, of Pueblo, one of the HERALD'S regular contributors, has been elected by the State Commissioners laryngologist to the Colorado State Insane Asylum.

Drs. James Moores Ball and Emory Lanphear, of St. Louis, made THE HERALD a pleasant call on April 16th, en route to the Iowa State Society meeting, at Creston.

Dr. E. O. Barker, editor of the Oklahoma Medical Journal, Guthrie, called during THE HERALD'S absence in Baltimore, and left a neat round-cornered card, indicating that he is up to the times, even if he does reside in a brand-new country. The doctor has been taking a post-graduate course in St. Louis.

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

Dr. G. W. Talbot, of Denver, Col., died suddenly at the St. Charles hotel in this city, on May 13th. Dr. J. S. Talbot, of Easton, his father, came to the city and had the remains moved to Easton. Deceased was 38 years old and leaves a wife and family in Denver, where he has lived for a number of years. He was connected with St. Anthony's Hospital.

Dr. J. S. B. Alleyne.-The medical profession of St. Louis mourns the loss of one of its oldest and most esteemed members, Dr. Jeremiah S. B. Alleyne who died, May 2, very suddenly at his home. He had retired feeling unusually well. He had spent the evening visiting his old friend, Dr. J. P. Litton. He walked home, and when he reached his residence was in excellent spirits, though complaining of being somewhat fatigued. He retired as usual, and arose about 5:30 to get a drink of water. He then returned to bed. At this time his wife asked him if he was unwell, and he replied that he was not. At 7 o'clock Mrs. Alleyne arose and attempted to awaken her husband, only to find him dead. Dr. Alleyne was born in Boston in 1826, and came to St. Louis in 1839. He was enrolled as a student of St. Louis University in 1842, receiving the degree of A. B. three years later. Upon the completion of his academic education he entered the St. Louis Medical College, from which he graduated in 1848. He has been practicing medicine in St. Louis ever since. He was a member of the faculty of the St. Louis Medical College for twenty years, and dean of the college for ten years. He was subsequently connected with the Beaumont Medical College. He was Dean of the Barnes Medical College at the time of his death. Dr. Alleyne leaves a wife and one daughter. The latter is Mrs. Fred M. Von Schrader, wife of Capt. Von Schrader, U. S. A., now stationed at Louisville, Ky. Dr. Alleyne was universally liked as a physician, medical teacher and citizen. His sincerity, politeness and affability won him the hearts of all that came in contact with him and his departure has caused an irreparable vacancy in the ranks of the St. Louis medical profession. To the last day of his life he took an active interest in all matters pertaining to his profession which he loved and held high. He will continue to live in the memory of his many pupils, friends and colleagues.-Med. Review.

« ForrigeFortsæt »